- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mango chunks, thawed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- For syrup, place water in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high 30 seconds. Stir in sugar and almond extract until sugar is dissolved; cool completely.
- Finely chop 1/4 cup mango chunks; place in a large bowl. Add cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract; beat until blended. In another bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into mango mixture.
- To assemble, line bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with 11 ladyfingers; slowly drizzle with half of the syrup. Layer with half of each of the following: cream mixture, meringue cookies, remaining mango and almonds. Repeat layers, starting with remaining ladyfingers. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight. To serve, loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim.
Test Kitchen tips
- To crush meringue cookies, place in a large zip-top plastic bag and pound gently with a meat mallet.
- To get the smoothest whipped cream, beat on medium speed, not high.
- For a nuttier flavor and added crunch and color, toast the almonds before using.
1 slice: 389 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.